Minutes 22/8/12

DIDDLEBURY PARISH COUNCIL
Chairman: Cllr D Hedgley

Jacqueline Watts, Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer
Holly Cottage, Culmington, Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 2DF (01584) 861 473
diddleburypc@gmail.com
http://www.corvedale.com

Parish Council Meeting
On Wednesday 22nd August, 2012, 7.30 pm at Diddlebury Village Hall

MINUTES

Prior to the start of the meeting, members of the public were invited to discuss any matters of interest with their councillors.

The Meeting commenced at 7.00pm

Present: Cllr Hedgley (Chairman), Cllr O’Boyle, Cllr Povall, Cllr Longmore
Cllr Worthington, Cllr Thomas, Cllr Fowler, Cllr Bellamy.

In Attendance: 3 x members of the public and the Clerk.

1.0 Apologies for Absence: Apologies were accepted from Cllr Linton, Cllr Motley

2.0 Declarations of Interest relating to this meeting
Members are requested to declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests they may have in matters to be considered at this meeting in accordance with the Localism Act 2011 s32 and The Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012 – No declarations were made.

3.0 Public involvement session: (Agenda Items Only) – Those members of the public
in attendance were asked if they wished to comment on any Agenda item – No comments were made.

4.0 Minutes: RESOLVED (unanimous) that the Minutes of the Ordinary meeting of
Diddlebury Parish Council held on Wednesday 25th July 2012 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman, subject to the removal of Cllr Bellamy from Agenda Item 11.
Proposed: Cllr Longmore
Seconded: Cllr Povall

5.0 Matters Arising – Updates from the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 25th July 2012 that are not included elsewhere on the agenda.

(Agenda Item 5.3) Shropshire Website meeting was booked for Monday 20/8/12, but Shropshire Council representative was unable to attend. Meeting will be rescheduled.
(Agenda Item 5.5) Advice Sheet has been printed and put in Corvedale News. Chairman will ensure one available on each village notice board. Invoice will come from Ludlow School in due course
(Agenda 6.1) Chairman attended Chairmanship Skills training.
(Agenda 7.1 and 7.2) Shropshire Parking and Planning Policies notices were put on parish notice boards.

(Agenda Item 13.0) Chairman and Cllr Linton are going through flood issues. Cllr Longmore will meet with Chris Jackson of Highways at some point.

6.0 Reports from Members
6.1 Chairman’s Report – Chairman reported that he had attended training, put various notices up, arranged with Ludlow School to run information sheets off and dealt with complaints relating to ‘Otterfest’. The Chairman reported on Rural Services Network – Some Local Authorities are making money available for community transport. There is a fall in tractor thefts, an increase in livestock, diesel and agricultural chemical thefts.

6.2 Cllr Motley, Shropshire Council – Unable to attend meeting.

6.3 Other members Reports:
Cllr Bellamy gave an update on the Parish Plan. The questionnaire will be delivered to houses by hand at the beginning of September. Cllr Bellamy will let Council members know if the PPSG are short of distributors. The reply date is 28/9/12. Returns will be by prepaid envelopes to the Community Council.

Cllr O’Boyle – Gave a report on the Diddlebury Village Hall committee meeting of August 2012.

7.0 Correspondence
7.1 Shropshire Council – Broadplace provision at Diddlebury Village Hall – Letter advised that future of all Broadplaces in Shropshire under discussion, and by September there should be a clear idea of the way forward. SC unlikely to fund internet connection for the purpose of Parish Council meetings. The usage would need to be for a wider community usage. The attendee feedback from the meeting held at Diddlebury in May 2012 to discuss the future potential of Broadplace implied there was little use within the community. In order to explore this further a question was put in the questionnaire for the Parish Plan regarding community IT needs, for which they are awaiting response. At present no decision has been made and comments and feedback are welcome.

8.0 Cheques Requested
Members were asked to authorise the signing of invoices for payment
8.1 SALC – Chairmanship training skills 27/7/12 – £20.00
8.2 Diddlebury Village Hall – Hire of room 22/8/12 – £12.00
Proposed: Cllr Fowler
Seconded: Cllr Bellamy

9.0 Planning Applications
9.1 12/03137/FUL – The Granary, Middlehope, Shropshire, SY7 9JS.
Proposal: Erection of a first floor extension and a single storey extension to west elevation

RESOLVED (unanimously) to support the application
Proposed: Cllr Bellamy
Seconded: Cllr Longmore
Clerk to enquire if planning applications continue to be advertised in the Shropshire Star.

10.0 Finance
10.1 Current Account Balance £4701.99 as of 22/8/12
10.2 Parish Plan Funding – A cheque for £500.00 had been received from the
Shropshire Neighbourhood & Parish Partnership group (SNAPP) towards the cost of the Parish Plan.

11.0 Noise Pollution – Members were relayed letters of complaint relating to a recent
event which generated noise over a 48 hour period.

Diddlebury Parish Council had received a number of complaints from Local residents over the noise from an event over the weekend of 11th August 2012. Initially it was unclear exactly where the noise was originating from as it affected such a large area. Diddlebury was badly affected but Peaton and Bouldon residents did not hear anything. Sutton was not too bad. Residents in Culmington could clearly hear the noise.

The Chairman spoke to Simon Ditton, Shropshire Council (SC), regarding the Temporary Events Notice (TEN). He enquired if the Parish Council could be notified beforehand of any future applications for TENs. SC advised that they have around 10,000 applications a year for TENs and that this suggestion was not practical. Most TENs were for music events and linked to licensed premises. The only people who could object to noise pollution were the Police and the Noise Pollution department. He was advised that if an event receives a lot of complaints, a marker is put down against the event to prevent it in future. When SC had received the TENs for ‘Otterfest’ at Lawton Farm, there were no ‘markers’ against the property address or the applicant (the landowner) to prevent the event.

The Chairman spoke to Bronwyn Hutchinson in Noise Pollution (NP), Shropshire Council.
Concerns were expressed that the event could be renamed and moved elsewhere. NP advised that the producers name was now logged, so NP will keep an eye open for his name in future. NP advised that the applicant had been written to and the landowner was adamant that the event will not happen again on his property and said that he had felt misled.

During these conversations the Chairman established that whilst only the Police and Noise Pollution could intervene with an event that was a disturbance, the Noise Pollution department had no out of hours unit to which complaints could be made. Furthermore, complaints had been made to the Police, but as far as the Parish Council was aware, the Police had taken no action.

It was reported to the meeting that Delbury Hall had been accused for the noise and it was nothing to do with Delbury Hall. Furthermore, the event is being promoted for next year to have increased numbers from 500 to 1000. Concerns were that the TEN may be for a different location and in a different name, which meant that unless the applicant had a previous history the event will take place. In this instance it would require action during the event by the Police and Noise Pollution.

DPC felt it was important that they were notified of any TENs applications so that they were able to ask for noise restrictions or traffic restrictions for example, and that these same principles should be used for any event, as with any music event there will always be objections.

Cllr Bellamy thanked Cllr Hedgley for his treatment of the complaints he had received, some of which were not nice, and for having handled the situation very calmly and politely.

Cllr Hedgley wished for it to be put on record that he had congratulated the Ale in the Dale event and would fully support the event next year.

The meeting RESOLVED:

A letter be sent to Shropshire Council Noise Pollutions Department regarding there being no facility for reporting noise pollution out of office hours.
A letter be sent to Shropshire Council, Temporary Event License department, requesting that the Parish Council be forewarned or any TENs applications.
A letter be sent to the local Police office, querying action, how many complaints had been received and future action.
The Chairman will follow up a suggestion to contact the organiser of the ‘Otterfest’ event.

12.0 Any Other Business (for dissemination of information only)
12.1 installation of orange or mobile phone boosters are available. Cllr Longmore was awaiting something official.

13.0 Date of Next Meeting – Wednesday 26th September 2012, at 7.30pm in Westhope Village Hall

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.25pm

Advertisements