Archive for November, 2010

Minutes 20/10/10 and 27/10/10

November 28, 2010

DIDDLEBURY PARISH COUNCIL   

 An extraordinary meeting of the parish council was held on Wednesday 20 October 2010 at Diddlebury Village Hall, starting at 7 30pm.

Present:  Councillors Linton, Hedgley, Longmore, Povall, Thomas and Mrs Worthington. There were apologies from Councillors Bellamy and Mrs Fowler.

The sole item on the agenda was the co-option of a new member.

  1. There were three applicants for the post: Mrs Karen Bradburn, Mrs Jayne Husband and Mr David Mason. Each was interviewed by members.
  2. After the interviews there were discussions and ballots, following which Mrs Husband was elected as the new member. The clerk said he would notify all candidates.

 

The meeting closed at 9 20pm.

___________________________________

An ordinary meeting of the parish council was held on Wednesday 27 October 2010 at Diddlebury Village Hall. 

Present:  Councillors Linton, Bellamy, Mrs Fowler, Hedgley, Longmore, Povall, Thomas, Mrs Worthington Shropshire Councillor Mrs Motley, Mrs Husband, and three members of the public. 

There were no declarations of interest.

Before the formal meeting there was a discussion with members of the public about one of the parish council’s recommendations in response to the Shropshire Council consultation document Shropshire Site Allocations and Management of Development DPD. In their response the parish council had recommended that Diddlebury become a “hub” (see minutes for the meeting on 23 June 2010 at para 7).

The chairman explained that:

  • Although the council had recommended to SC that Diddlebury be a “hub” (which would imply, inter alia, that between 50 and 100 houses would be built by 2026) there had been no attempt to identify potential sites, nor should it be assumed that all of the development would be in or close to Diddlebury village
  • The consultation had been advertised in the free magazine “Shropshire Matters” which had been delivered to all households, and the Shropshire Star, and there had been “road shows”. Each of these invited members of the public to comment
  • it was the function of members of the parish council to tell SC what they considered to be in the best long term interests of the community which they represented and not merely convey opinions of local residents
    • It was highly likely that SC would publish draft recommendations with opportunity for further consultation. If that were to happen the parish council could not give any undertaking that it would call a public meeting to discuss the issue

 

After this discussion Mrs Husband, the newly co-opted member, was introduced to the other members of the council and signed the Declaration of Acceptance in the presence of the clerk.

The council then moved to the formal agenda

 

Minutes of the previous meeting

1         Draft minutes of the September meeting had already been circulated. In para 13 “November” should read “September”. Subject to this amendment they were approved as being correct and were signed by the Chairman.

Matters arising

2         There were no matters arising which were not covered by agenda items.

Unitary Council matters

3         Mrs Motley brought members up-to-date with Shropshire Council matters. The main topic was the reduction in Government funding arising from the recent Comprehensive Spending Review. SC might ask the public what services should be retained and what abolished. Parish councils might be asked to take over some services as well, possibly in cooperation with each other.

4         The recent consultation on the future of schools had come to an end.

5         She also mentioned a complaint from this council (and other parishes) about being deluged with consultation documents, some of which were irrelevant and/or too specialised to be comprehensible to members of parish councils. This was being looked at by SC.

6         Whilst Mrs Motley was present there was a discussion of the fatal accident which had occurred on 10 October at Wheeler’s Oak. SC Highways had investigated soon after the accident and had found nothing wrong with the road surface at that point. There was a general discussion about whether there should be a speed limit at that point or whether there should be warning signs. Mrs Motley will arrange for the issue to be discussed at the next LJC meeting but this would not be until next year.

7         Also discussed was the Charter for Shropshire Councils. There were some concerns about the snow warden and acceptance of the requirement for training of parish councillors. Mrs Motley would look into these, but members were unanimous in accepting that the council sign up with the Charter in principle,

Finance

8         The balance at the bank as at 14 October remained at £6,576.02 (adjusted figure £6,209.72).

Planning

9         Members were not happy with the proposal for Middle Westhope Farmhouse to be used for holiday accommodation for a temporary period of three years. They felt it should be let preferably as an agricultural or forestry dwelling pending its return to use as the house connected with the running of the farm (10/03906/VAR and 10/03908/VAR).   

Other Reports

10     The Chairman gave a report on a meeting he had attended which had been addressed by Philip Dunne MP and had been about the “Big Society”.

Correspondence

11     The following correspondence has been received:

  • The annual report of the Shropshire Housing Group
  • An email from Severn Trent to report that the defective water main in Seifton Batch was to be replaced early in 2011. Culmington PC had suggested that such works be deferred till after the winter as the diversion routes would prove difficult to negotiate in snow and ice. Members agreed and the clerk will inform Severn Trent accordingly (AP – clerk).
  • A survey from SC about Street Cleaning which the clerk will complete (AP – clerk).
  • A  SC review of Winter Service including the programme for snow clearance etc
    • “Clerks and Councils Direct”
    • An email from Mr David Mason, who had been one of the applicants for the vacancy which arose recently on the council. He asked whether the co-option procedure adopted was a normal one. He thought that some of the questions asked at the interviews at the co-option meeting were “loaded” (members did not agree). He also asked about publicity for the agenda for meetings. The clerk explained about the posting of the agenda before each meeting but thought it might be a good idea if agendas and dates of meetings were also posted on Corvedale.com (members agreed with this suggestion). Mr Mason had also requested information about the dates when the current members had been elected to the council. The clerk will supply this and deal with the other points in the email as outlined above (AP – clerk). 

 

Other matters

12     Councillor Hedgley asked about progress with the refurbishment of the notice board at Bouldon and whether there could be an additional board at Peaton. The clerk will pursue this matter (AP – clerk).

13     Councillor Mrs Worthington asked if there could be a sign on the B4368 at the junction with Mill Lane to say “Village Hall”.  The clerk will contact Shropshire Council about this (AP – clerk).

14     The Chairman drew members’ attention to a proposal by BT to upgrade some telephone exchanges to improve broadband speeds. Small rural exchanges (eg Munslow and Seifton) would not be included but there might be an opportunity for some upgrading if 75% of those connected to an exchange asked for it. Members with internet connections were encouraged to do so; the Chairman said he would write an article for the December issue of the Corvedale News (AP – Chairman); and Valerie Francis would be asked to email as many people as possible.

Next meeting

15     The next Ordinary meeting of the council will be at Diddlebury Village Hall on Wednesday 24 November.  The Public Forum will be at 7 30pm and followed by the formal meeting.

As there was no further business the chairman declared the meeting closed at 9 30pm.

Advertisements

Minutes 22/09/10

November 7, 2010

DIDDLEBURY PARISH COUNCIL   

  

A meeting of the parish council was held on Wednesday 22 September 2010 at Westhope Village Hall. 

Present:  Councillors Linton, Bellamy, Mrs Fowler, Hedgley, Povall and Mrs Worthington, Shropshire Councillor Mrs Motley and two members of the public. An apology had been received from Councillor Longmore. 

There were no declarations of interest.

Public Forum

1         Mr O’Boyle expressed concern about the council’s response to the Shropshire Site Allocations and Management of Development DPD (see minutes of the June 2010 meeting at para 7); he had read about this recently. He was opposed to Diddlebury becoming a “hub” and said people he had spoken to locally agreed with him. After a brief discussion Mr O’Boyle left the meeting and members discussed this matter further. It was decided that the clerk should draft an article for the next edition of the Corvedale News (AP – clerk).

Minutes of the previous meeting

2         Draft minutes of the previous meeting had already been circulated. They were approved as being correct and were signed by the Chairman.

Matters arising

3         Para 3 of the minutes of the previous meeting: Severn Trent are to start works in Seifton Batch  early in 2011; para 12: the clerk has emailed SC about car parking; para 14: the clerk had looked at the bus shelter. He said he would remove the offending vegetation, possibly with the help of a nearby resident; para 15: the clerk had contact SC Highways.

4         There are three applicants for the vacancy caused by the resignation of Ms Bownes, but there were problems about their availability for interview. The clerk will liaise with members and the three applicants (plus anyone else who comes forward before the deadline of 30 September) with a view to setting up an extraordinary meeting as soon as possible (AP – clerk).

 

Unitary Council Report

5         Shropshire Councillor Mrs Motley told members that Mr Peter Dunhill, the Regeneration Officer, had been moved to the Oswestry area and would be replaced by Ms Lisa Bedford. However, there was a great deal of uncertainty at present and there would be a rearrangement of LJCs in the new year.

6         Mrs Motley described how the “Rural Toolkit” was operated with example from Worthen and Shelve. She gave a copy of the papers to the clerk, who will liaise with Councillor Bellamy about this (AP – clerk).

7         Mrs Motley explained the background to the Charter for Shropshire Councils (see also para 8 below).

8         The government will be publishing its Comprehensive Spending Review on 20 October and this would have a major effect on Shropshire Council, along with all other local authorities.

Finance

9         The balance at the bank as at 14 August 2010 remained unchanged at £6,576.02.

10     Members approved payment of the clerk’s salary of £350 for the half year ending 30 September 2010 and expenses for the same period which amounted to £16.30.

Planning

11     No objections were raised to an application to erect a replacement dwelling and site a mobile home temporarily at Cornfield Bank Cottage, 1-2 Westhope SY7 9JL, although members recommended that a condition be included to the effect that the  mobile home should be removed when the building works were completed. Mrs Lewis, the applicant’s wife, was present and answered questions from members (10/03520/FUL).

 

Correspondence

12     The following correspondence has been received:

  • An email from SC about the Government’s  “local Referendums to veto excessive Council Tax increases” which was received a week before the deadline for responses. After consultation with the Chairman the clerk had responded opposing the proposal if it were to apply to small councils like Diddlebury.
  • A letter introducing the Shropshire Rural Housing Association
  • An invitation to AGM of the Association of Local Councils                                                                                   
  • An invitation to a celebration of “Working Together” from the Shropshire Housing Group  
  • Notification of a meeting about Water Management in Shrewsbury

 

Other reports

13     Councillor Mrs Worthington told members that repair work would start on Diddlebury Village Hall on 27 September. Councillor Mrs Fowler said that provision of the under-2s centre at Diddlebury had been “put on hold” in view of the current financial situation.

Statement of Community Involvement for Shropshire

14     This consultation document had been circulated previously. Members discussed its contents and whilst generally in favour of the proposals were concerned about work being given to parish councils which they were not equipped to deal with. The clerk will respond accordingly (AP – clerk).

Charter for Shropshire Councils

15     The clerk had prepared a two-page summary of this document. Members were given copies and there will be a discussion at the next ordinary meeting of the council.

Other matters

16     Councillor Mrs Worthington said she had been told that land off The Moors View at Diddlebury had been sold for development.  

 

 

Next meeting

17     The next ordinary meeting of the council will be on Wednesday 27 October  at Diddlebury Village Hall. The public forum will be at 7 30pm and will be followed by the formal meeting. It is likely, however, that an Extraordinary meeting will be called before then to interview the candidates for the vacancy on the council.

As there was no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 10 05pm.