Minutes 24/03/10

DIDDLEBURY PARISH COUNCIL   

  A meeting of the parish council was held on Wednesday 24 March 2010 at Westhope Village Hall. 

Present:  Councillors Linton, Bellamy, Mrs Fowler, Hedgley, Povall, Thomas and Mrs Worthington, and two members of the public.  Apologies had been received from Councillor Ms Bownes, Councillor Longmore and Shropshire Councillor Mrs Motley.

With the exception of matters referred to in paras 7 and 8 below there were no declarations of interest.

 Minutes of the previous meeting

1        Draft minutes of the previous meeting had already been circulated. It was pointed out that they omitted reference to the discussion about the Charter for Shropshire Councils.  It was agreed that the following paragraph be inserted:

22a  Members’ attention was drawn to the proposed “Charter for Shropshire Councils”.  It was agreed that this should be discussed at the next meeting of the council.

In fact this item did not appear on the agenda for the March meeting and the final date for comments had nearly arrived.  The clerk apologised, but said he thought that in line with previous consultations there would be a revised draft and then a chance for a final revision, in which case members would be able to make comments at that time.

The name of the gentleman mentioned in para 11 is John Hallé.

Subject to these amendments the minutes were approved as being correct and were signed by the Chairman.

 Matters arising

2        Paras 3 and  9:  the clerk had written accordingly.  Para 14:  this has been done and Chris Jackson will write to Mr Clinton.  Para 16: the blockage has been cleared and Mr Jackson will investigate the provision of a flood gauge.  Para 22: this has been done. 

  Finance

3        The bank balance as at 14 February 2010 was £5,630.91 (no adjustment required).

4        Members agreed payment of the following:

  • An invoice for £25 for the insurance of the two information boards on the Three Castles Walk
  • A bill for £24 for the hire of Westhope Village Hall for the council meetings in June and September 2009 and March 2010
  • The clerk’s salary and expenses for the period from 1 October 2009 to 31 March 2010 amounting in total to £363.39.

 Donations to charities and other bodies

5        Members considered six requests received from charities and other bodies.  They decided to make the following donations:

  • Diddlebury Stream Conservation – £50.00 to be administered by the Parish Plan Steering Group
  • Citizen’s Advice – £70.00
  •  Crucial Crew – £5.00 per head for each child from the parish taking part in the scheme in June 2010
  • 1st Corvedale Guides – £100 to assist in setting up the Guide unit

 6        It was agreed that a notice should appear in the Corvedale News later in the year to remind local organisations of the availability of small grants from the council.

 Planning

7        There were no objections to a request for permission to fell a dead alder tree at Millfield, Mill Lane Diddlebury (10/00967/TCA).

8        Although  there were no objections to a proposal to erect extensions at The Old Hen and Ferret, Great Sutton, members readily admitted that they preferred the original design (see minutes of meeting on 22 July 2009 at para 5).  They were also perturbed by the applicant’s account of her dealings with the planning office.  The clerk was instructed to report accordingly. Councillor Mrs Fowler declared an interest in this application and took no part in the discussion (10/00842/FUL).

9        Members decided to object to a proposal to erect an affordable house on land at Corfton Bache on the grounds that: the proposed site, which is within the Shropshire Hills AONB, does not relate to the existing settlement of Corfton Bache and the house would  be in a prominent position on the brow of a ridge and therefore highly visible over a large area of Corvedale; the access from the steep, narrow, lane is wholly unsatisfactory; and the chosen material for the walls of the house is out of keeping with existing cottages in Corfton Bache and elsewhere in Corvedale. It should be stone, not brick.

These objections could be largely overcome if the house were sited immediately behind the Sun Inn and utilised the existing agricultural access.

Two letters of objection had been received from members of the public.

Councillor Thomas declared an interest in this item and took no part in the discussion The site was close to the clerk’s house and he left the table prior to consideration of the application and sat with members of the public whilst it was being discussed. (10/00835/FUL).

Parish Plan Steering Group proposals

10    Councillor Bellamy introduced a report from the Parish Plan Steering Group (which had been circulated previously).  Members accepted its recommendations. Attached to the report was a revised constitution for the Group.  Three amendments were suggested and Councillor Bellamy thought these would be acceptable.

 Corvedale School Traffic

11    Councillor Mrs Fowler reported that following the acquisition of additional land by the Village Hall Committee there were now 7 or 8 additional car parking spaces, although this could be less if people parked badly.  The Village Hall Committee are looking into whether spaces could be marked out.  Congestion has been eased by the fact that only one bus now regularly arrives much too early. She did not think it would be necessary to convene another meeting with interested parties about this matter..

 Other reports

12    Councillor Mrs Worthington reported that she had attended the Buzzard AGM.  There was a need for additional drivers and committee members, most of which had served for 14 years.

13    Councillor Bellamy told members that details of the new community hospital had been discussed at the last meeting of the LJC.  It would be built on the Eco Park at Ludlow:  the future of the site of the existing hospital was not known.  He was impressed with the proposals.  The LJC’s proposals and concern about winter maintenance had been sent “up the line”.

Correspondence

14    The only item of correspondence received which has not already been mentioned above was a letter setting out the details of Green Communities.  It was passed to Councillor Bellamy.

Other matters

15    The chairman suggested that “Highways and Environment” should be a standing item on agendas for ordinary meetings.  Members were in agreement with this.

16    The clerk told members that the council’s minutes could now be read on the Corvedale.com website (Minutes of the December 2009 meeting at para 12).  It was agreed that minutes be posted as soon as they had been approved by the council.. 

Next meeting

17    The next ordinary meeting of the council will be on Wednesday  28 April 2010 at Diddlebury Village Hall. The Public Forum will start at 7 30pm and be followed by the formal meeting.

As there was no further business the chairman  declared the meeting closed at 10 00pm.

Advertisements